Tuesday, September 9, 2008

poor isaac...

when isaac starts crying he sometimes stops breathing (especially when he's tired). it sucks, but he's done this since he was a day old. i asked the doctor about his breath holding spells when he was just weeks old and he said it was normal for kids to do that and that his body would eventually shut down during these spells...meaning he would pass out. well about a month ago this happened for the first time. he passed out, but i knew it was probable so didn't think too much of it. i guess i just thought isaac is a stubborn child!

well last night was a lot different. here's what happened: he was due for a nap and somehow hit himself in the head with his sippy cup. he started crying and held his breath so long that he turned blue and his eyes were open and his lips were big and blue and he looked like he just died in my arms. i freaked out and told derik to call 911...ok i screamed for derik to call 911. shortly after he got on the phone isaac started going into convulsions. it was really scary to look in his face and know there was nothing i could do to make it stop. his arms and legs were twitching and stiff and his eyes were twitching as well. after about a minute of that, his body calmed down and his eyes started rolling in the back of his head.

the paramedics got here and isaac was crying pretty good...and breathing, thank goodness. we decided to take him to the hospital for evaluation since he had never had a seizure before. they did a bunch of tests and they all came back normal. the ER doctor wanted to give him a ct scan. we were both really nervous about it and decided against it. the on-call pediatrician said it wouldn't be necessary...which was good to hear. apparently there is a 1 in 1000 chance of developing cancer later in life from the radiation. we were then released and got to go home about three hours later.

he seemed normal from the time we got to the hospital so i was really glad that he bounced back. afterall, he had blood drawn from both feet to check his blood/sugar, blood drawn from his arm for test, his temp taken through his bum, a catheter, and x-rays (which was the worst of it). it was a terrifying experience and we're glad it's over.

we were ordered to take him to the pedi today for reevaluation and luckily the doctor thought everything looked great and no more tests were ordered. they thought he might need an MRI to check his brain activity. i'm so glad the doctor seemed to think the events were fairly normal. we're just supposed to do everything we can to avoid these spells and that's just a lot of love and support when we know he's tired or frustrated. i think i'm pretty good at that one!

we did a lot of praying and know our families were doing the same. it's so great to know we can rely on Heavenly Father for support and comfort during these times. our families are so wonderful and we are so thankful for their love and support. it means the world to us.

9 comments:

Schmidt Family said...

How scary Kelly. I hope that everything keeps going well.

amber schmidt said...

That's so scary! I'm glad that he is ok! I actually did the same thing when I was little and did it until I was like 10 or so. But, I did it when I would get hurt. Cole also started doing the holding his breath thing a few weeks ago, but luckily he just turned a little blue and didn't pass out!

* Nancy * said...

That is so scary! I would have freaked out seeing my baby do that. Glad that Derik was with you when it happened-- and that you have the support of your family!
I will keep you in my prayers too!
Isaac, don't scare mommy and daddy, they love you!

Denisse said...

Kelly! That is scary! I'm so happy he is doing well! I think I would have been freaking out if I saw one of my kids having a seizure!!! You are strong!!! Scott's cousin's little girl has the same thing happen when she gets upset and starts crying. Anyway, we will keep you in our prayers!

Jessica said...

Holy Smokes Kelly. That is crazy. How sad to be right there watching it all and not being able to do anything to help him out. What a brave and strong mother you are - seriously.
What a blessing!

The Heaton's said...

oh my word! so if that were me; i would have passed out as well and ryan would have had to request two ambulances 1 for me, 1 for connor! I have heard of a lot of kids that do that too. My friend blows air in her little girls' face... i don't know the science behind it, but i have seen it work. i am glad everything is okay, keep your eye on that little guy!

Tanya said...

i can't even believe it! why does all the drama happen when i am out of town! i am so glad he is ok!

Matt, Stephanie and Hayden Berglind said...

What a good mommy you are Kelly! You seemed to stay pretty peaceful and calm which is what Isaac needed. Hospitals are scary places, especially when they are poking and prodding at you baby! We will keep him in our thoughts and we are glad all is well!

Justin and Stacey said...

Kelly, my power has been out for a couple days, so I haven't been reading everyone's blog and it looks like I have been missing out on a lot!! Holy cow! I will be praying for Isaac tonight that he will grow out of this and for you that you will know what to do if it ever happens again. Poor little Issac. These are times when we are so lucky to have the gospel and to know that we can pray to Heavenly Father!!