Friday, September 26, 2008

pawrk chaaps and tosh sauce...

my aunt meleah and i made applesauce a few weeks ago. we had a little birthday party for me at my grandpa's. aunt meleah and uncle scott bought everyone paddington's pizza (or paddingums if you're me...) and it was so much fun just hanging out. they picked all these apples from their apple trees...we looked them up and they're called macintosh apples. there were so many that we thougth we'd try to make some applesauce...i thought it was an awesome thing to blog about. ..so here it goes!
here we started with the macintosh apples grown on the farm...hence the "tosh sauce"...we also thought of "mac sauce" and "macinsauce"... aunt meleah was surprised that i could take a picture of the two of us by myself.













then we boiled the apples in a little water...this is the second batch we made. in the first batch we kept the skins on which gave the tosh sauce a beautiful pink color...almost unreal!













we used this ancient contraption that squeezes all the mushy apples down to the perfect consistency.
ps. i hate how that shirt makes my arms look like freakin mom arms...not madonna mom arms, but like relief society mom arms... and can anyone else do that with their thumb? crank it back!













you can see a little left over pink sauce in the bottom of this batch that we squished. so pretty! and it's just from the skins! amazing...













there it is all pretty and pink!













the final product. it took on some of the pink, but was a boring yellow for the most part...













all these pictures made my aunt and i want to blot our shiney faces with oil sheets...so gross, huh?














then we took another picture...it must be the flash because we were still shiney!













i had so much fun and a couple weeks later we made pear sauce...so good. and we didn't even need to add any sugar or cinnamon. aunt meleah, you rock! i'm so glad you moved back...i can't wait to come hang out more often!

8 comments:

Jill said...

You are the woman! There are tons of people around here that can and freeze and yeah-that's not me. I would love homemade fresh salsa, I just don't want to the the work. So, good on ya making homemade applesauce. And so fun to do it with your aunt.

amber schmidt said...

Wow! I never knew you were so domestic!! I'm impressed!

Julia said...

Homemade applesauce sounds so good! You'll have to teach me some time! That's pretty impressive, especially that you call it fun. I guess it all depends on the company :)

* Nancy * said...

So jealous, that sounds so yummy right now...homemade applesauce, can't beat that! I do love that pink color that the skins gave too! That is great you were able to get with your aunt and make it together!

Justin and Stacey said...

I am totally jealous of your apple sauce making! I wish I had some family around here who knew what they were doing so I could have some!! You lucky girl!

Unknown said...

look at you, you little domestic goddess :). love the old strainer masher thing too! oh and loved the mom arms comment about madonna versus relief society mom arms ahh, didn't know there was a scale of mom armness. . .although I can show you a mean arm jiggle myself :) Jeff wants me to start lifting weights. . . when? yeah. . .

Tanya said...

i am so proud of you for making that apple sauce. love it!

amber schmidt said...

In response to your question.... We painted the chairs with just a flat black with an acrylic brush and then distressed, then put a walnut stain over that and then did two coats of poly. We also sanded off the finish before we did any painting. Your spray paint sounds alot easier though!!!